Category Archive: Family

Why you should make a Will and LPA if you are buying a property

Buying a property?  It’s time to make a Will and an LPA. If you are buying a property, you should make or review your Will and Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) for the following reasons: Property is one of the biggest assets you will own so it’s important to consider who you want to inherit…

Read more

Why you need to make a Will and LPA if you are getting divorced or separated

Going through a divorce or separation?  It’s time to make a Will and an LPA. If you are getting divorced or separating from your spouse or partner, you should make or review your Will and Lasting Power of Attorney (LPA) for the following reasons: Your previous Will remains valid even after your divorce. However, any…

Read more

Can I keep the house if I get divorced?

For many couples, their shared home is their main asset. This means that it can be difficult to divide it when a relationship breaks down, particularly if the other available assets are not worth as much. It can also be stressful to have to consider the possibility of selling your home, particularly at a time…

Read more

Dealing with child contact over the Christmas holidays

If you have separated from your children’s other parent, the thought of Christmas can be difficult. Both parents are likely to want to spend some quality time with their children and tensions may arise if you both want to have contact on the same dates. Christopher Price, partner at Gloucester law firm Tayntons, and head…

Read more

What will happen to the children if I get divorced?

For parents, the hardest part of a divorce often relates to issues surrounding their children. There are natural concerns over where they will live, how long they will spend with each parent and how they will adjust to the changes. Agreeing arrangements for children Ideally, you and your children’s other parent will agree on the…

Read more

What is financial disclosure?

During a divorce, when issues arise over finances, both parties will be required to fully disclose their financial situation to each other. Once full disclosure has been made, you can move on to negotiating a financial settlement. The more efficiently the disclosure stage of the divorce is dealt with, the quicker and more cost-effective the…

Read more

Separating couples and disputes over property entitlements?

Unfortunately, experience within this field continues to demonstrate that there is a common misconception between unmarried couples that they have the same rights financially as married couples. This is often referred to as “common law marriage”. Following the breakdown of a relationship cohabiting couples are not protected by the same law that applies to married…

Read more

Can my ex relocate and take my child with them?

It can be very distressing after a separation to find out that your ex-partner wishes to move to a different part of the country. There is no legal requirement for them to obtain the consent of the court to a move, so if you are concerned about the proposed relocation, you should consider your options….

Read more

Who has parental responsibility and what decisions can they make?

Parental responsibility gives parents rights and responsibilities in respect of a child. When two parents both have parental responsibility, certain decisions have to be agreed between them.  Who has parental responsibility? Simply being a child’s parent does not necessarily mean you have parental responsibility. It is given automatically to the following people: The child’s birth…

Read more

7 questions to ask your divorce solicitor at your first meeting

Going through a divorce is always difficult. At Tayntons we work to reassure you throughout the process and to make sure you know what to expect at every step of the way. We offer an initial fixed-fee consultation to discuss your situation and explain what you can expect to happen throughout. To prepare you for…

Read more

To contact us please call 0800 158 4147 or 03330 145451 or email

Contact us
  • Call us

  • Make an enquiry