Special Educational Needs (SEN) Legal Advice

We help parents/carers of children and young people with Special Educational Needs (SEN) to get the right provision, school placement and support to secure the best possible outcome for their child’s educational future and well-being.

All children and young people need the support of their parents, family and friends, but some children with special educational needs may require more support. It is important that their needs are recognised early on and their potential learning or developmental difficulties are identified from a young age. We firmly believe that if a child receives the correct level of provision in the right educational setting at an early stage your child has the ability to attain their full potential.

Our team are highly experienced in this area, offering expert Special Educational Needs (SEN) legal advice to parents, schools and other individuals and organisations.

We can help you with everything from Educational, Health and Care (EHC) Needs Assessments, Statements of SEN and EHC plans to Court of Protection deputyships and Special Education Needs and Disability Tribunals (SENDIST).

We offer a sensitive but practical approach to dealing with these matters, ensuring the best possible outcome for children with special educational needs and those who care for them.

Our team has a 98% track record of settling the majority of cases before they reach Tribunal saving you costs, time, and emotional distress.

Speak to one of our Special Educational Needs team now by calling 0800 158 4147 or request a call back and a member of our team will be in touch promptly.

SEN Charitable Funding

In certain cases, we can offer access to charitable trust funding depending on the merits of the case and financial eligibility. To find out if you qualify for this funding please contact us

Our Special Educational Needs legal services

We offer comprehensive legal support and advice covering all of the key issues affecting families who have a child or young person with special educational needs.

We have helped many families over the years to secure the educational and therapeutic input that their child requires in relation to the following:

  • Autism
  • Asperger’s Syndrome
  • Attention Deficit Disorder/ADD
  • Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder/ADHD
  • Anxiety
  • Down’s Syndrome
  • Dyslexia /Specific learning difficulties
  • Dyspraxia
  • Gross and fine motor difficulties
  • Emotional & Behavioural Difficulties
  • Hearing Impairment
  • Obsessive Compulsive Disorder
  • Oppositional Defiance Disorder
  • Speech & Language Difficulties
  • Visual Impairment

Our Fees – Get an initial assessment of your situation using our fixed fee SEN report

At Tayntons our specialist Special Educational Needs (SEN) team have helped many clients get the right provision, school placement and best possible outcome for their child’s future.

To help you assess the strengths and weaknesses of your case we offer a fixed fee assessment, limiting your initial outlay whilst providing you with insights on the steps needed to take it forward. The benefit of this fixed fee assessment is that you will get expert SEN legal advice quickly at minimal cost and gain insights into the possible time and cost implications required to pursue your case before proceeding further.

In order to complete this assessment report, our SEN specialists will need to review all of the relevant paperwork and documentation regarding your child. We can then produce a written advice which will cover the following:-

  • Strengths and weaknesses of your case
  • Assessing the evidence that you have obtained
  • What steps you need to take to try and ensure that you win your case
  • The experts that you may need to instruct
  • Prospects of success
  • Important dates to be aware of
  • Costs estimate
  • Steps to be taken going forward

Our specialist SEN assessment report costs just £500 plus VAT.

If after reading the report you would like Tayntons to act for you, we will be able to hit the ground running having completed the initial assessment. We believe in making our advice and pricing fair and transparent and before proceeding to act for you we will let you have a client care letter with an estimate of our costs and terms and conditions of business.

For more information on any aspect related to your child or young person’s learning or physical disability, please contact the Special Educational Needs Team on 0800 158 4147 or Contact Us.

As qualified lawyers we can offer advice in respect of all education and legal issues including SENDIST Appeals and in respect of the following areas:

  • Education, Health & Care Plans (EHCP)
  • Disability Discrimination Claims
  • School Exclusions
  • Home Tuition
  • School Transport
  • Post 16 & 19 Provision
  • School Admissions
  • Children Out of Education
  • Advice regarding Social Care Funding and Adult Placements

How we can assist you

We have access to specialist Barristers who can be instructed to provide advice on complex matters and attend hearings with clients.

SEN Charitable Funding 

 In certain cases, we can offer access to charitable trust funding depending on the merits of the case and financial eligibility. To find out if you qualify for this funding please contact us.

Get in touch with our Special Educational Needs team

For help with any aspect of Special Educational Needs legislation anywhere in the UK, please contact us today by calling 0800 158 4147 or request a call back and a member of our team will be in touch promptly.

    • Special Educational Needs (SEN) service makes a difference
    • We wanted to thank you as a family and to thank Robert for your help in getting our daughter into the right school.

      Sometimes as you get older we look back on life and the people who helped and made a difference. We will certainly be doing this and your name will always come to mind.

      Once again, thank you so much. We shall tell everyone we meet who is going through what we have been through about you and how amazing you are.

      Our daughter has asked me to write a few lines for her:

      Thank you for helping my mum sort all this out for me. My mum said that if it wasn’t for you we wouldn’t be able to do what we have done. I am truly grateful.

    • Knowledge, work ethic & expertise are exceptional
    • Its a pleasure to supply a testimonial to Tayntons, especially for Robert Love who has been our Educational Lawyer on more than one occasion over the years.

      Without Robert we were literally without hope.

      Robert’s knowledge, work ethic, expertise and commitment are exceptional and we were always kept informed and up to date every step of the way.

      We had very tight deadlines at times and had to collate many reports within these timeframes, Robert was responsible for pulling this all together on more than one occasion in a calm and collective manner.

      Robert always offered support, advise and integrity to some situations that appeared quite dismal at times.

      I would absolutely recommend Tayntons and will no doubt be using them again in the near future for our next battle with the education system. – Mrs C


    • Delighted with service from Robert Love
    • We were delighted with the service provided by Robert Love and his team in helping us obtain funding from our Local Authority for a residential placement for our son. Robert has a wealth of knowledge and experience in this area and always offers practical, realistic advice. We were particularly impressed with the work done for us by the barrister Deborah Hay whom Roberts instructs on a regular basis and who is an invaluable asset to his team of advisers – Ms V

    • Considerable help and expertise
    • We have engaged Robert Love to represent us on two separate cases, both with successful and entirely satisfactory outcomes.

      The first occasion was when we were struggling, unsuccessfully, on our own, to obtain an out of county placement for our son William at St Marys School in Bexhill. Our local authority refused to consider any alternatives to their own provision, even though we could see that it was not adequate to meet William’s complex needs.

      Educational law is confusing and bewildering to the average parent, and we were faced with the daunting prospect of taking on our local authority to challenge their recommended ‘in county’ placement. We felt completely overwhelmed, and decided to appoint Robert Love, who had been recommended to us as a solicitor that specialised in educational law and complex cases such as ours. We felt relieved that we now had expert help through the educational minefield, and this relieved at least some of the anxiety.

      How Robert helped us succeed

      Mr. Love was able along with his team of experienced professional experts, to manage our case, through to a successful tribunal. After which William was able to attend St. Marys as a residential student until he was 19, with free door to door transport provided from home to school every weekend. Being able to provide evidence of William’s needs was crucial to winning the case, and due to the diligence and insightfulness of Mr. Love and his team, some of whom were essential witnesses at the tribunal, William was issued with a detailed statement that completely addressed his complex needs, with no abiguity; and the L.A. was then obliged to provide funding to meet those needs.

      St. Marys provides placement to the age of 19, and it became apparent that William needed further education, therapy and life skills training for his future, in order for him to be as independent in his adult life as possible. After much research and after visiting various provisions, we decided that the best place for William would be the National Star college in Cheltenham.

      Again, the L.A. resisted our choice, and expressed their preference to send him to a local placement. Their choice of placement would have been wholly inadequate to meet his complex needs, and worryingly we could see that the L.A. were going to be difficult to deal with again.

      We needed Robert’s help again!

      As we had been so pleased with the way our case had been dealt with on the previous occasion, we decided quite rapidly that we would again engage the services of Robert Love and his team to negotiate on our behalf. With his help we were able to come to an agreement with the L.A. without the need for a tribunal, and William is now a residential student at National Star, with a guaranteed placement for the full three year term.

      Mr. Love has always been extremely helpful, insightful, approachable, and easily contactable by phone. We have always felt that he does his utmost to achieve the best results for us and our son William, who is very happy at his college, and is receiving the proper levels of support that he requires. It is extremely doubtful, in fact I would say it would have been impossible, for us to have achieved either of William’s placements without the considerable help and expertise of Mr. Love, and we would recommended him without hesitation to any parent in a similar, stressful situation.

      Mr and Mrs T

    • Professional and efficient
    • The service I received was not just professional and efficient but was also dealt with compassion and understanding. – Mrs B

    • Robert was very positive and knowledgable from the start.
    • I have just had the pleasure of working with Robert Love on a disability discrimination case against my sons school. Robert was very positive and knowledgeable from the start and we got the deal done with the school prior to the tribunal due to Robert’s knowledge of the Law and gentlemanly way of working. That would have far exceeded any award of extra tuition and agreement to review their methods of needs assessment for future children.

      I believe that this method of working is the best outcome for my son. Most Solicitors just count the hours and pounds, while Robert looks at the people and the families involved and is a true gentleman.

      As the saying goes (if Carlsberg made Solicitors Robert would be the one)!

      I cannot recommend Robert Love of Tayntons highly enough for educational needs.

    • Katerina was very helpful, patient and very efficient.
    • Katerina was very helpful, patient and very efficient.

      We are very grateful to Katerina Hale at Tayntons for advising and supporting us throughout our appeal to SENDIST. We were successful in securing our son a place at The National Star College which we wouldn’t have been able to do without Katerina expertise.

    • Outstanding!
    • The support we received has been outstanding. – Amanda Stocker

    • Thrilled and happy about the service I received
    • I was going through a lot before being referred to Tayntons. The effectiveness was just great and they were constantly communicating with me about everything regarding the case and no table was left unturned as time was considered. I am so thrilled about the servicee that I received as the outcome was positive. My son got into my desired school.

To contact us please call 0800 158 4147, 03330 145451, email info@tayntons.co.uk or use our