Court of Protection Deputyship

If a loved one has lost the capacity to manage their own affairs, becoming a Court of Protection deputy allows you to assist them with making important decisions or to make those decisions for them where required.

Tayntons’ Court of Protection solicitors and lawyers, based in Gloucester, can guide you through applying to become a deputy, including advising you on the timescales involved, the process, your duties as a deputy and how you need to act in the role.

We understand that taking on this type of responsibility can be a challenge, so are on hand to offer compassionate and practical legal expertise every step of the way. That way you can be confident you are properly carrying out your role and that your loved one’s needs are taken care of.

We will be happy to assist with all aspects of the deputyship, from beginning the application process to managing your duties as a deputy, including applying for a statutory Will, making decisions for healthcare and accommodation and submitting the annual report to the court.

For initial advice and to discuss your legal options, we offer a 30-minute consultation for a fixed fee of £95 + VAT or an hour at £150 plus VAT.

Speak to one of our Court of Protection Deputyship solicitors now by calling 0800 158 4147 or request a call back and a member of our team will be in touch promptly.

Applying to become a Court of Protection deputy

To become a Court of Protection deputy, you need to fill out an application form and various supporting documents, then submit these to the Court of Protection and pay an application fee.

We can connect you with a relevant medical expert who can make an assessment of your loved one’s capacity (an essential part of the application process). We can also ensure that the forms are filled out correctly, preventing any unnecessary delays.

There are two types of Court of Protection deputyship: property and affairs and personal welfare. The circumstances will dictate which type of deputyship you would apply for.

Property and financial affairs deputy

This gives you the authority to make decisions about issues such as:

  • Paying a person’s bills
  • Collecting their pension
  • Dealing with their property

You will normally need to specifically state in the application if you wish to sell the home of the person for whom you are acting as a deputy.

Personal welfare deputy

This allows you to make decisions about issues like:

  • What medical treatment a person receives
  • Their day-to-day care e.g. their diet and personal care
  • Where they live and who they see

Who can become a Court of Protection deputy?

Anyone over the age of 18 can apply to be a deputy, although it will usually be someone with a strong connection to the person, such as a close relative or friend.

You can apply to the Court of Protection as a sole Deputy or two or more people can share the role of deputy. They can do this either as:

Joint deputies – where they will have to agree on all decisions.

Deputies acting jointly and severally – where they can make decisions together or individually.

Why choose Tayntons Court of Protection deputyship solicitors?

Tayntons’ Court of Protection solicitors and lawyers have years of experience helping people with all aspects of deputyship in Gloucester,  and throughout Gloucestershire, including Cheltenham and the Forest of Dean as well as covering the rest of the UK.

We have the expertise to make handling the affairs of a loved one who needs your support as simple and straightforward as possible, giving you complete peace of mind that they are being looked after appropriately. We will talk through everything you need to know in plain English, so you can be absolutely sure you are making the right decisions and know what to expect at all times.

Tayntons is Lexcel accredited by the Law Society for our excellent practice management and client care and we are independently regulated by the Solicitors Regulation Authority (SRA).

Get in touch with our Court of Protection solicitors in Gloucester

Need help with an aspect of Court of Protection deputyship in Gloucester, Cheltenham, the Forest of Dean or anywhere in Gloucestershire or anywhere in the UK?

Please contact us today by calling 0800 158 4147, emailing us at or requesting a call back.

To contact us please call 0800 158 4147, 03330 145451, email or use our