Child Residence & Contact Solicitors

5As a parent, the safety and protection of your child will be your number one priority. So, when it comes to separation and divorce, taking the right steps to safeguard the welfare and future of your children while ensuring you maintain a positive parent-child relationship is essential.

Sadly, this can be a very contentious issue, with the potential to cause a lot of emotional upset for everyone involved. At Tayntons, we want to work with you to achieve the best possible outcome for you and your children.

Residence (custody) and contact (access) are the two key issues that usually need to be resolved and our family law solicitors, based in Gloucester, are highly experienced in both of these matters.

With particular expertise in non-confrontational dispute resolution, we can usually find an amicable solution that works for everyone without the need for court action. This saves you time, money and a lot of stress, as well as helping to keep conflict to a minimum so you can maintain a better relationship with your former partner.

For initial advice and to discuss your legal options, we offer an initial consultation of up to 45 minutes for a fixed fee of £75.00 + VAT (£90.00).

Speak to one of our family law solicitors about any issues related to child residence and contact now by calling 0800 158 4147 or request a call back and a member of our team will be in touch promptly.

How we can help you with child residence and contact issues

We work with individuals and families on a wide range of issues related to child residence and contact in Gloucester, Cheltenham, the Forest of Dean and throughout Gloucestershire.

Child arrangement agreements

In most cases, it is possible for parents to voluntarily agree arrangements for their children, such as where they will live and what contact the non-resident parent will have. We can advise you on your options for reaching an amicable solution, including taking a collaborative approach and referral to a mediator where appropriate.

It is common for separating parents to create a written Parenting Plan that sets out exactly how the children will be cared for. As well as covering residence and contact issues, this can also record your decisions about where your children will go to school, social activities and other key decision.

You can also choose to make any voluntary agreements you reach legally binding with a Consent Order from a court, providing certainty for you and your children.

Child Arrangement Orders

If you and your former partner cannot agree arrangements for your children, you can apply to a court to decide for you. This will typically involve a hearing in front of a judge, where both parents can present their side of the story. The judge will then decide where your children should live and what contact the non-resident parent should have, which will be set out in a legally binding Child Arrangements Order.

Our family lawyers can represent you during court proceedings, ensuring your case is presented effectively and giving you the best chance of a fair outcome that protects your children and your rights as a parent.

Parental responsibility

In some cases, it will be necessary to establish your ‘parental responsibility’ towards your children. This means making sure you have a recognised legal right to make decisions about your children’s upbringing as well as a legal duty to provide for and look after them.

We can help you establish whether you have parental responsibility and help you to acquire this if necessary to ensure your rights as a parent are respected.

Grandparents’ rights

While grandparents and other relatives, such as aunts and uncles, have no automatic legal right to a relationship with their grandchildren, nieces, nephews etc., courts do increasingly recognise the valuable contribution an extended family can make.

We can help you to agree contact with the children’s parents wherever possible or explore the available legal options where an amicable agreement cannot be reached, helping to preserve these important family relationships.

Why choose Tayntons child residence and contact solicitors?

Tayntons’ child law team has been helping families to resolve issues around child residence and contact for many years in Gloucester and throughout Gloucestershire, including Cheltenham and the Forest of Dean.

Our child law solicitors know how complicated and emotive these issues can be, so always strive to be empathetic as well as highly practical in our approach, helping to make the process as easy as possible for you and your loved ones.

We have a strong focus on good communication, so will make sure all of your legal options are explained in plain English and that we keep you updated at all times, so you are never left in the dark or unclear about what to expect next.

Tayntons’ family law solicitors are accredited by the Law Society for Children Law, recognising our particular expertise in this area. Several of our team are members of Resolution – an organisation committed to taking a non-confrontational approach to family law.

As a firm, we have been awarded the Law Society’s Lexcel accreditation reflecting the excellence of our practice management and client care.

Get in touch with our family law solicitors in Gloucester

Looking for legal advice and support with child residence and contact issues in Gloucester, Cheltenham, the Forest of Dean or anywhere in Gloucestershire?

Please contact us today by calling 0800 158 4147, emailing us at or requesting a call back.

Get in touch

To contact us please call 0800 158 4147 or 03330 145451 or email

Contact us
  • Call us

  • Make an enquiry