James Melvin-Bath joined Tayntons initially in 2015 for a work placement and subsequently secured a Training Contract in 2017. He is due to qualify in 2018.
Currently, he is completing his LPC with a focus on Advanced Commercial Litigation, Private Acquisitions and Commercial Law with Intellectual Property. He was awarded an Achievement of Excellence for his academic research and presentation on the rights of cohabiting couples.
James’ previous experience includes; operations and managerial within Retail, Hospitality, Publishing & Logistics. He is therefore able to utilise his knowledge to deliver bespoke commercially aware advice. Furthermore, his previous experience within a multinational technology company has provided James with in-depth knowledge of the commercial implications of consumer law, and how businesses can best incorporate statutory requirements, in a way that is not disruptive to them or their clients. James also developed and delivered several workshops about using the law to assist your business, to varying sized businesses, during his time in London.
Notable matters include:
- Settlement of a construction dispute where the defendant raised a substantial counterclaim. James negotiated a settlement on behalf of the client and brought the matter to a swift resolution;
- Successful resolution of a neighbour dispute where our client was accused of causing damage to an adjoining property. The matter had been causing the client substantial distress. James’ direct and client focused approach brought about a quick resolution for the client;
- Dealing with litigation and advocacy for a variety of commercial clients in regard to claims bought by and against consumers;
- Positive conclusion of a Landlord and Tenant matter for a Landlord that was not based in the country. James liaised with the Landlord, local agent and tenant directly to negotiate a resolution allowing the Landlord to regain possession of the property promptly and cost effectively;
- Commercial Property Repossession and Rent Recovery. James has been instructed by a variety of Landlords in the recovery of rent arrears and the successful repossession of commercial property. James also advises on contested lease renewals.
- Commercial and private debt recovery. James is regularly instructed with a variety of debt recovery matters, including unpaid invoices and disputes over works completed. James has also been instructed and advised on several private debt disputes between individuals, both written and verbal;
In his spare time, James enjoys spending time with his wife and their dogs as well as enjoying skiing and motorsports. James is also an avid Cyclist and recently completed the London to Brighton Cycle, to raise funds for the British Heart Foundation.
James is also a Trustee of the Ambient House Charitable Trust which is established to advance the education and welfare of vulnerable families and vulnerable women.